Job Title: Customs Brokerage Entry Specialist
Department: SSI Import
Office Name: Seaboard Solutions - Miami
Address: 7860 NW 80th Street
Postal Code: 33166
Responsible for efficient shipment import process including ISF, entry processing, Customs and government agency resolution, file documentation compliance and shipment customer service from beginning to end to ensure timely execution and compliance of Customs regulations as well any other governmental agencies. To represent the company’s interest in any function, specifically those related to the compliance of brokerage functions. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Applications out of the geographic region for this position will not be considered.
- Three (3) years of entry writing and/ or brokerage operation experience.
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. Customs regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the HTSUS
- Knowledge of FDA/OGA process.
- In-depth understanding of U.S. import process.
- Intermediate Computer skills (in programs such as MS Word, Excel & Outlook, ABI).
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Ability to work for extended hours and on weekends.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and deliver a high level of customer service.
- Detail-oriented, organized and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Experience using DESCARTES software.
- Licensed Customs Broker.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Classify import items and notify Customs to determine appropriate import duties
- Train and advise team members in areas of Customs regulations, classification and valuation
- Maintain a high level of expertise in all areas of US Customs regulations, including customs clearance processes, classification and valuation. Perform regular review of trade publications
- Maintain and keep current all customs compliance documentation for management audit and record retention.
- Receive, review, and process high-volume and/or complex import transactions and entries for an assigned base of accounts, including the classification and valuation of goods
- Process documents through the Company’s ABI system, obtaining Customs release and other government agency releases as appropriate. Arrange both delivery and the invoicing of the import account for services rendered
- Review and monitor all Customs rejections, requests for information for clients and any other government agency, and other correspondence
- Adhere to all domestic and international shipping regulations
- Communicate with clients, coworkers, and supervisors in a clear, concise, and timely manner
- Provide excellent and timely customer service, under the limited supervision and advice of the department Supervisor or Manager, by proactively informing clients of the status of shipments and referring clients to a higher-level authority when questions are beyond scope of responsibility
- May identify transactions and tasks that require special handling, recommend improved processes to management, and implement resolutions within assigned scope of responsibility
- May provide input on team performance as assigned
- May be required to provide systems training for new employees, on-site at the branch
- Assist Management with written procedures, SOP as assigned, for handling each account served by the team, including billing, classifications, valuation rules, schedule of fees, Customs correspondence, post entry process and any other related information.
- Assist Management compile documentation for Customs packets as required by Customs.
- Any other duties as assigned by Management.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use his fingers.
- The employee frequently is required to talk and/or hear.
- The employee is continuously required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear protective PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as instructed or necessary
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Employee receives direct supervision from Import Manager. Employee does not exercise supervision over any other position
- Indoors office. Exposed to controlled temperature and office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually busy (many phones in open cubicles).
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.