Job Title: Director of Imports
Department: SSI Import
Office Name: Seaboard Solutions - Miami
Address: 7860 NW 80th Street
Postal Code: 33166
Oversees all functions related to the Import of cargoes and the related operations of the Import Division. Ensures compliance with Federal and Foreign Regulations governing shipments. Maintain a relationship with U.S. Customs officials as needed to obtain release of incoming freight. To represent the company’s interest in any function, specifically those compliance related. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications out of the geographic region for this position will not be considered.
- Ten (10) years of Import and Trade Compliance experience required of which at least five (5) years within a Management capacity.
- Experience with import of Apparel, Perishables and regulated products as well as the related requirements by governing agencies; CBP, FDA and USDA.
- Experience with Customs forms CF28 and CF29, Post Entry Summary
- Ability to serve as the company’s Customs House Brokerage License Qualifying Individual with CBP.
- Advanced Computer skills (in programs such as MS Word, Excel & Outlook, ABI, ACE).
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English and Spanish (Verbal and written) at an intermediate to advanced level
- Must possess a current Customs Brokers License.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean record.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work for extended hours and on weekends.
- Ability to travel domestically and overseas as deemed necessary by management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
- Experience with Entry Reconciliations (Recon) preferred
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all customs activities of the company including maintaining the company’s permits from US Customs.
- Establish and supervise all operating and record keeping procedures required by US Customs and FDA ensuring compliance of all federal and foreign regulations governing transactions.
- Compile and manage all documentation and records required to clear goods through US Customs and utilize experience and knowledge of US Customs rules and regulations to classify goods and determine applicable duty and taxes.
- Oversee the system requirements imposed by US Customs to ensure the company complies with same and maintains a cohesive and efficient automated environment.
- Negotiate with and retain services as an intermediary between airlines and shipping companies and the shippers/consignee’s.
- Establish, monitor and revise policies, procedures and service standards for customs clearance operations and ensure that all policies and procedures are consistently administered.
- Ensure there is an overall Import Compliance program with internal audit parameters that meets U.S. Customs regulations and best practices and withstands any and all Customs audit initiatives.
- Ability to guide importers on U.S. regulatory requirements and importer best practices.
- Monitor Divisional revenue and profit and maintain a consistent growth.
- Responsible for meeting key performance indicators (KPI) as defined with customers.
- Manage all the staff within the Import Division by assigning work, setting completion dates, reviewing work and files for compliance and manage performance and productivity in accordance with organizational standards, policies, procedures and performance management processes.
- Transfer knowledge to staff to ensure compliance with Federal regulations and continuously increase employee productivity through cross training and innovative strategies.
- Provide advice to clients on import restrictions and all customs related matters as well as assist with US Customs audits
- Develop and maintain strategies to retain and increase business from clients.
- Maintain up to date knowledge, including any continuing education of the regulations and procedures of the US Customs rules and regulations for the classification and entry of goods, as well as Trade laws.
- Maintain relationships with US Customs agents, in-house counsel and any outside counsel retained by management as needed to carry out duties and responsibilities as stated herein.
- Maintain a management informed of all matters related to Customs contact, audits, regulations that can impact the operations of the company.
- Assist with the development of Brokerage business by visiting and soliciting business from Clients to include traveling to clients both domestically and internationally.
- Any other duties assigned as assigned by the Vice President or Executive Management.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use his fingers.
- The employee frequently is required to talk and/or hear.
- The employee is continuously required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear protective PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as instructed or necessary.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Reports directly to the Sr. Vice President. Exercise supervision over staff in the Import Division; Import Manager, Import Supervisor and Import Account Representative.
- Indoor office environment (80%).
- Outdoors environment driving to visit and meet with customers (20%).
- Exposed to non-controlled temperature and office environment controlled temperature intermittently during the day.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.