Job Title: Yard Mule Driver
Department: SSI Freight Labor
Office Name: Seaboard Solutions - Miami
Address: 7860 NW 80th Street
Postal Code: 33166
This position operates heavy equipment for all terminal operations (staging equipment, loading out truckers, etc.). Manually unloads containers and stages them in the proper area, operate forklift and move cargo from warehouse staging area to containers. Identify and transport cargo to and from warehouse into containers. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
- Must possess a current and valid CDL Class A driver’s license
- Two (2) years of previous over-the-road tractor/trailer driving experience
- A valid license with clean driving record
- Must be able to communicate (read, write, and speak) in English sufficiently to read road signs, prepare reports and communicate with law enforcement officers and the public.
- Must be able to accurately process alpha/numeric information
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, extended hours, holidays, and/or weekends as needed.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and strong initiative
- Posses organizational and time management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors and fellow employees
- Ability to think logically, follow procedures, instructions and make sound decisions
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates heavy machinery such as Mule, Forklift, organize cargo on staging area for loading
- Operates Truck to deliver cargo in Containers or Trailers within the Dade County area.
- Check equipment to ensure it is properly maintained and is safe to operate (check oil, water, spreader bars, etc.)
- Services the yard to maintain everything organized
- Maintains awareness of all surroundings (i.e. vehicles, people checking equipment, etc.) at all times
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Manually unloads containers and stages them in the proper area and verifies carton counts
- Operates forklift to move cargo from warehouse staging area and fill containers continuously
- Conveys materials and items from receiving areas to storage or to other designated areas
- Review all shipments upon arrival and inform supervisor immediately of any damages and/or spoiled cargo
- Ensure that cargo is loaded in appropriate container or trailer for shipment
- Checks and arranges for regular maintenance of forklift
- Changes propane tanks, oil and water, etc. Reports electrical and/or mechanical difficulties to warehouse mechanic
- Maintain awareness of all surroundings (i.e. trucks, people etc.) at all times in order to avoid collisions
- Sweeps work area for cleanliness as needed
- Perform additional related duties as assigned
- Finds equipment for the drivers
- Must pass physical exam
- Subjection to physical and/or DOT Screening may be required along with other tests as applicable
- The employee is continuously required to sit (while driving), grasp and exercise eye-hand coordination and eye-hand-foot coordination
- The employee is frequently required to reach forward, exercise repetitive foot and wrist motion and finger dexterity
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, bend forward, squat, twist, reach overhead and pinch
- The employee must frequently lift, carry, push and pull up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift, carry, push and pull up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Report safety hazards
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participate in safety meetings and training
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direct supervision from the Warehouse Supervisor. Does not exercise supervision over any position.
- Work is performed primarily in outdoors; exposed to changing weather (temperature & humidity) and outdoor environments, during day and night shifts, occasionally in a roofed warehouse area with open doors
- The employee continuously works near moving trucks/equipment
- The employee is continuously exposed to dust, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals
- May be required to work on holidays and weekends as necessary
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.